Monday, January 7, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Bread and Breakfast

I did some baking this weekend in an attempt to "live up" my last weekend of winter holiday.  For starters, on Saturday I made:

Rosemary Olive Oil Bread
The next morning I made this pancake recipe for breakfast from The Pioneer Woman:

Lemon blueberry pancakes
However, my greatest accomplishment was baking a double batch of dairy-free nut muffins.  Half went into the freezer for my impending maternity leave and half has functioned as healthy snacks for Atticus and work breakfast for myself.  I adapted the recipe from the Taste of Home Diet Comfort Foods Cookbook

Yum.  Banana Nut Muffin!  Original recipe had chocolate chips if you care to look.


Banana Nut Muffins

Ingredients

3/4 C all purpose flour
1.25 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 C vanilla almond milk
2 to 3 medium mashed ripe banana
1/3 C unsweet applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C chopped pecan halves

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.  In another bowl, combine the eggs and milk; stir in the bananas, applesauce and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in pecans.

Coat muffin pan wit cooking spray or use paper liners; fill 3/4 full with batter.  Bake at 37 for 20minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. 

Very filling with just the right amount of sweetness!


5 comments:

chrisa511 said...

OMG I'm drooling after this post!!

Eva said...

Oh I might try that rosemary bread recipe! Yum!

Andi said...

I can't wait to try the muffin recipe. I'm trying to do more non-dairy in the new year, and this looks like just the ticket! The bread looks a-mazing, too!

Beth F said...

Okay, so I want to make all three of these! i love rosemary olive bread. YUMMMMMMMM.

April said...

That bread looks amazing. Kudos.